Rules and Regulations
2013 DRAFT HORSE SHOW RULES AND REGULATIONS
LINE JUDGE: Wes Gordeyko – Ohaton, Alberta
HITCH JUDGE: Chip Lawrence – Danville, Virginia
1.) All horse owners/exhibitors must be members of the New Brunswick Draft Horse Association for the year 2013. NOTE: All 2012 exhibitors are automatically members for 2013.
2.) All draft horse owners/exhibitors must provide proof of liability insurance. COPY OF POLICY MUST ACCOMPANY ENTRY FORM.
3.) ALL HORSES MUST HAVE NECESSARY INOCULATIONS FOR EQUINE INFLUENZA. Inoculations shall not be MORE THAN 6 MONTHS and not LESS THAN 30 DAYS prior to show. VET APPROVED CERTIFICATE MUST ACCOMPANY ENTRY FORM.
4.) All registered animals must be registered and entered in the name of the owner/exhibitor as shown on registration papers OR a signed transfer. REGISTRATION PAPERS or TRANSFER PAPERS or SIGNED BILL OF SALE MUST ACCOMPANY EXHIBIT AND BE AVAILABLE IN SHOW RING.
5.) All entries, on official entry forms, must be in the hands of the Draft Horse Show Manager – Norman Powell, BOX 37, North Wiltshire, P.E.I. C0A 1Y0 by AUGUST 15, 2013. Phone/Fax 902-675-3340. Entries can be faxed to Show Manager, but the ORIGINAL, along with all documents, entry fees and trailer fee and extra exhibitor pass fees must be POSTMARKED BY AUGUST 15, 2013 to be considered as an eligible entry.
6.) Entries must:
1) Be Complete (See Rule #8).
2) Include Flu certificate from vet (See Rule #3).
3) Include copy of liability insurance.
4) Include $15.00 membership fee (if not already a paid up member for 2013).
5) Include $15.00 entry fee per horse.
6) Include $50.00 trailer hook-up fee.
7) Include $10.00 for each additional exhibitor pass. The number of additional passes which can be purchased cannot exceed the number of complimentary passes supplied to exhibitors. Exhibitors will be given one pass for each horse EXHIBITED.
LATE ENTRIES AND ENTRIES which are not accompanied by above documents and fees may be declared ineligible and shall be notified by telephone by Show Manager of ineligibility.
7) In order to give all exhibitors equal stall & tack space, all entries which DO NOT show up for their allotted space may face a surcharge – to be determined by the show committee – and surcharge will be deducted from prize winnings.
8) ALL ENTRIES must show CLEARLY the SECTION AND CLASS NUMBER(S) to be entered. Entries must be made out properly and complete in order to catalogue entries. A LIMITED NUMBER OF BOX STALLS ARE AVAILABLE – IF BOX STALL(S) IS REQUIRED FOR HORSE(S) – PLEASE INDICATE WITH SPECIAL NOTE ON ENTRY FORM.
9) Entries may be limited to stall space available, depending on total number of entries received and number of stalls available. NEW BRUNSWICK HORSES WILL HAVE FIRST PRIORITY TO STABLING. OUT-OF-PROVINCE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED IF STABLING IS AVAILABLE. Any rejected entries will be notified.
10) Aged females and geldings in line classes AND all teams, must show either light or heavy draft on entry form. NO CHANGES WILL BE PERMITTED AFTER ENTRIES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED, EXCEPT WITH MANAGER’S APPROVAL.
11) It is the obligation of EACH EXHIBITOR TO CHECK WITH SHOW MANAGER on Sunday September 1, 2013 for errors, omissions, substitutions, additions or deletions on entries submitted. NO RING NUMBERS, PASSES, TRAILER CARDS will be given out until exhibitor has verified entries AND have met all the requirements of rule #6.
If you are not issued ring numbers – you will not be allowed in ring with entries!!
12) DEFINITION OF A BROOD MARE: is a mare that shows evidence of being in foal or has raised a foal in current year. The exhibitor is required to show the mare with foal at foot OR registration certificate of foal OR vet’s certificate of deceased foal must be produced.
13) IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY:
1) All horses must ENTER THE RING SLOWLY and LEAVE THE RING AT A WALK. ZERO TOLERANCE!
2) NO CHILD who has not reached his/her 7th birthday on show day is allowed in ring area either on foot or on a wagon. Only entrants in stick/play horse class are exempt.
14) Exhibitors must be ready to enter ring at scheduled times. Lateness will not be tolerated and ringmaster will have complete authority to close gate to any entry which is unnecessarily late. YOU KNOW THE SCHEDULE – BE ON TIME!!
15) All stabled entries must:
- Be on grounds and in stalls by midnight SATURDAY AUGUST 31, 2013
- Remain in stalls until 9:00pm SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 7, 2013
- Displays, signs, etc. may NOT be removed before 8:00pm Saturday September 7, 2013
- PLEASE READ ALL RULES CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING ENTRY FORM
- PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND PAYMENTS ARE SUBMITTED WITH ENTRY FORM BY THURSDAY AUGUST 15TH, 2013
2013 SHOW COMMITTEE
Sara Hayes (FREX Director)
Michael Hayward (FREX Director)
Norman Powell (Show Manager)
David Hayward (NBDHA President)
NBDHA Appointees to Show Committee
PLEASE MARK SECTION AND CLASS NUMBER CLEARLY ON ENTRY FORM
SECTION 1 – BELGIAN SECTION 3 – PERCHERON
SECTION 2 – CLYDESDALE SECTION 4 – SHIRE
NOTE: Shires will compete with Clydesdales in all classes unless sufficient numbers warrant separate classes.
- Stallion Born Before January 1, 2010
- Stallion Born in 2010 – 3 yrs old
SENIOR CHAMPION STALLION
- Stallion Born in 2011 – 2 yrs old
- Stallions Born in 2012 – 1 yr old
- Stallion colt born in 2013 – (registration papers not required)
JUNIOR CHAMPION STALLION
GRAND CHAMPION STALLION
- Registered Yeld Mare Foaled Prior to 2010
- Registered Mare Foaled in 2010 – 3 yrs old
- Registered Brood Mare (see rule #12)
SENIOR CHAMPION MARE
- Registered Mare Foaled in 2011 – 2 yrs old
- Registered Mare Foaled in 2012 – 1 yr old
- Purebred Filly of 2013 – (registration papers not required)
JUNIOR CHAMPION MARE
GRAND CHAMPION MARE
- Registered Gelding – 3 yrs & over
- Grade Mare or Gelding Born Before January 1, 2010 – Light Draft
- Grade Mare or Gelding Born Before January 1, 2010 – Heavy Draft
- Grade Mare or Gelding – Born in 2010 – 3 yrs old
SENIOR CHAMPION GELDING
- Registered Gelding – 2 yrs or Yearling
- Grade Mare or Gelding – 2 yrs or Yearling
JUNIOR CHAMPION GELDING
GRAND CHAMPION GELDING
SUPREME CHAMPION OF BREED – Sponsored by Fiske’s Horse Care Products
Windsor, Nova Scotia
(GRAND CHAMPION STALLION, MARE AND GELDING TO COMPETE)
- Progeny of Dam Class – Two Progeny of one Dam, grade or registered. May be owned by one or more exhibitors. One entry per exhibitor.
- Get-Of-Sire Class – three REGISTERED animals, any age, the get of one sire. Each animal must have been shown in its appropriate single section if offered. ONE ENTRY PER EXHIBITOR.
- N.B. BRED AND OWNED:
- One entry per exhibitor
- Sire & Dam must be owned by N.B. Breeder(s)
- Entry must have been born in N.B.
- To be shown at conclusion of Breed show
- Entry may be of any age or gender
- Ladies Cart Class – (ladies are eligible to drive in ONE breed class only)
- Men’s Single Horse – (open to cart or wagon)
- Ladies Driving Competition – Ladies must drive a team hitched to a suitable wagon and will be permitted an attendant. Ladies will drive a course designed by Committee with a maximum time allowed – NO POST ENTRIES. Entries will be given a course design prior to class.
- Ladies Team Class– No Course – ENTER EITHER CLASS 23 OR 24 – BUT NOT BOTH
- Light Draft Team
- Heavy Draft Team
- Team of Registered Mares
- Farm Team – course will be designed by Committee with maximum time allowed
- Tandem Hitch
ALL “TWO HORSE UNITS” MUST BE OWNED BY ONE EXHIBITOR
- Unicorn Hitch
- Four Horse Hitch
- Six Horse Hitch
- Children’s Stick-Horse or Play-Horse Class – Open to children of Draft Horse Exhibitors, members or family. This class is for children UP TO 6 YRS OF AGE Competitors must be mobile enough to show on their own accord
PEE WEE SHOW: (see rule #13(2)) Children 7 yrs and under 10 yrs
- Showmanship – must show horse on line only. Entrant & horse to be dressed for show. Entrant MUST have an adult attendant
Sponsored by: Frank & Margaret Hayes, Roachville, NB
- Cart Class – Adult attendant MANDATORY
- Team Driving Class – Adult attendant MANDATORY
JUNIOR SHOW: Junior Exhibitors 10 yrs old and Under 14 yrs
Entrant MUST have an adult attendant
- Showmanship – must show horse on line only. Entrant & horse to be dressed for show.
- Cart Class
- Team Driving Class
INTERMEDIATE SHOW: Intermediate Exhibitors 14 yrs of age and have NOT reached their 18th birthday.
- Showmanship – MUST dress horse at ringside and show horse on line (see rules for class #43)
- Cart Class
- Team Driving Class
- SENIOR SHOWMANSHIP: Open only to exhibitors, their immediate family and/or helpers of exhibitors.
RULES OF COMPETITION FOR INTERMEDIATE AND SENIOR SHOWMANSHIP:
- Time limit of 30 minutes for rolling and braiding
- One attendant only allowed to hold horse’s head while at ringside rolling and braiding
- Judged on: 25% rolling mane
25% braiding tail
50% showing ability
- Draft Horse Costume Class – rider to be in costume – may ride bareback or in saddle . NO GALLOPING
- Draft Horse Under Saddle – Competitors 16 yrs of age or under
May ride English or Western, this will be a walk trot class.
- Draft Horse Under Saddle – Competitors over 16 yrs of age
May ride English or Western, this will be a walk trot class.
NOTE: It is mandatory that all riders wear ASTM approved safety helmets in classes 44, 45 & 46.
- Junior Team Class – each horse in team must be 3 yrs. of age or under. (Junior teams are eligible to compete in breed light draft, heavy draft or registered mare team competitions.) MUST place 1st or 2nd in breed light, heavy or registered mare class in order to be eligible for breed Champion Class. The John Kerton Family Trophy will be presented to the winning entry of this class.
- Three Abreast Class – Sponsored by Alton Bubar Sales Ltd., Nashwaak Bridge, NB.
- Eight Horse Hitch Class.
(A) Champion Foal of 2013 – foal (either sex) – open to 1st & 2nd placings in breed classes.
(B) Champion Yearling of 2013 Show – (Stallion, Mare or Gelding) – open to 1st & 2nd placings in breed classes.
(1) Ultimate Supreme Champion of Show – Supreme Champion of each breed MUST compete. – RIBBONS ONLY CLASS.
Sponsored by: Fiske’s Horse Care Products, Windsor NS
1st & 2nd PLACE OF BREED CLASSES
ARE ELIGIBLE IN THE FOLLOWING:
(a) Champion Ladies Cart – Trophy donated by Carroll Enterprises, Carroll’s Crossing, N.B.
(b) Champion Ladies Driving – Elbridge Gilmore Trophy.
(c) Champion Farm Team – Ardean & Isabell Calhoun Memorial Trophy.
(d) Best Filly Foal of 2013 – class winners of Class #11, Sections 1, 2, 3 & 4 to compete.
(e) Champion Six Horse Hitch – William Stapleton Memorial Trophy. Keeper trophy donated by Raymond Anderson & family.
- PEE WEE SPORTSMAN AWARD: Awarded to Pee Wee competitor exhibiting at FREX as selected by secret ballot from exhibitors. Trophy donated by J & K Farms, Dow Settlement NB.
- JUNIOR SPORTSMAN AWARD: Awarded to best Junior Sportsperson of the show as selected by secret ballot from exhibitors. Perpetual Trophy/plaque donated by Thornhill Belgians, Lake Utopia NB.
- BEST SPORTSMAN AWARD: Awarded to the best Sportsperson of the show as selected by secret ballot from exhibitors. Award donated by Farlane Belgians, Kingsley NB.
- OUTSTANDING TEAMSTER AWARD: Awarded to outstanding teamster of the show as selected by the Show Judge. Milton Price Memorial Award to be presented to the winner.
- GROOMSMAN’S AWARD: To be judged by an independent committee which will make notes throughout the week of each exhibitor’s stable. Judging will take into consideration the size of the exhibit, general cleanliness of exhibit, politeness and courtesy of exhibit attendants, safety and concern for public by owner and attendants. Quality of animals not necessarily being judged. Judging will take into consideration all factors of an all-day event – based on a day 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Five prizes will be awarded. Sponsored by N.B. Draft Horse Association.
*PRIZE MONEY PAID TO EXHIBITORS IS DEPENDANT ON AMOUNT OF SPONSORHIP FUNDS RECEIVED.*
THE NEW BRUNSWICK DRAFT HORSE ASSOCIATION TAKES THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THANK THE 2013 SPONSORSHIP CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE, CHAIRPERSON, DIRECTORS AND MEMBERS FOR THEIR EFFORTS FOR PROCURING SPONSORS FOR THE 2013 N.B. PROVINCIAL DRAFT HORSE SHOW.
PERPETUAL TROPHIES & PLAQUES
Jr. Champion Belgian Stallion - Hazen J. Hunter Ltd. Trophy
Grand Champion Belgian Mare - Kemble Manor Trucking Trophy
Belgian Farm Team - Eastwind Percheron Award
Belgian Wagon Horse - Clifford Allen Memorial Trophy
Belgian Men’s Cart Horse - Ingraham Farms Annual Trophy
Belgian Junior Team - Audrey Black Memorial Trophy
Team Reg. Belgian Mares - Roland Tardif Family Trophy
Belgian Unicorn Hitch - Allan & Brenda Pugh Trophy
Belgian Four Horse Hitch - Pat & Winston Reid Mem. Trophy
Belgian Six Horse Hitch - Bob Fox Memorial Trophy
Jr. Champion Clydesdale Mare - Robert Brewer Family Trophy
Clydesdale Men’s Cart Horse - Hazen J. Hunter Ltd. Trophy
Clydesdale Tandem Hitch - Lipsett Farm Trophy
Clydesdale Four Horse Hitch - Wm. McNarin Memorial Trophy
Clydesdale Six Horse Hitch - Allan Booker Memorial Trophy
Champion Clydesdale Team - Borderlane Belgians Trophy
Supreme Champion Clydesdale - Dan Wilbur Memorial Trophy
Jr. Champion Percheron Mare - Mrs. Gladys McLaughlin Mem. Trophy
Percheron Wagon Horse - Allan Parker Memorial Trophy
Pecheron Farm Team - William Thomas Family Award
Percheron Ladies Cart Class - Elsie Dixon Memorial Trophy
Team Reg. Percheron Mares - Greenarm Corporation Plaque
Percheron Heavy Draft Team - Doug Hood Memorial Trophy
Percheron Four Horse Hitch - Boreal Lumber Ltd. Plaque
Percheron Six Horse Hitch - LePage Family Trophy
Champion Percheron Team - Olen A. Jordan Memorial Trophy
Supreme Champion Percheron - Canadian Percheron Assoc. Plaque
Pee Wee Sportsman Award - J & K Farms Trophy
Champion Junior Showman - Butternut Ridge Belgians Trophy
Champion Junior Driver - Karen & Kevin Thomas Trophy
Champion Intermed. Showman - N.B.D.H.A. Secretary’s Trophy
Champion Intermed. Driver - Michael Hayward Family Trophy
Senior Champion Showman - Gilbert Robison Memorial Trophy
Junior Sportsperson Award - Thornhill Belgians Trophy
Sportsperson of Year Award - Farlane Belgians Award
Outstanding Teamster Award - Milton Price Memorial Award
Best Filly Foal of Current Year - Ben’s Trophies Ltd. Award
Ladies Cart Class Champion - Carroll Enterprises Ltd. Award
Ladies Driving Comp. Champion - Elbridge Gilmore Memorial Trophy
Champion Farm Team - Ardean & Isobel Calhoun Mem. Trophy
Junior Champion Team - John Kerton Family Trophy
Grand Champion Team of Show - J.C. (Bill) Bennett Trophy
Champion Six Horse Hitch - William Stapleton Memorial Trophy
Champion Six Horse Hitch - Keeper trophy donated by Raymond Anderson & Family
NOTE: Fredericton Exhibition Draft Horse Show is a qualifying show as follows:
-All Canadian Percheron Program
-All Canadian Clydesdale Program
-All Canadian Belgian Program